Tuesday, October 04, 2005

The Ravens' Scorn

After getting over the first fear of the speed and the height I found the view breathtaking. I could see my castle And the mountains to the west. The sun was just rising, casting an orange glow across their peaks. I was totally exhilarated. As we headed closer and closer to the waters beyond I heard a frantic cry in the wind, "GO BACK’ GO BACK’. I turned in the saddle and looked over my left shoulder and accidentally pulled the reins to the left. The horse turned left.

I realized for the first time that I had control here. We began soaring in a wide circle over the kingdom, viewing the many roadways, forests and hills below, but the disturbing shrieking then continued in all directions. I discovered that by pulling back on the reins I could slow the horses pace and once slowed down I could see the sounds were coming from the courier raven trying to catch up with me. "This is bad, bad, bad." He cawed.

I pulled back hard on the reins and the horse settled down on the ground and stopped . Settling right in front of my face on the horses neck the raven proceeded to give me a thorough tongue lashing:

"Why do you always go running off on your own?" " Why don’t you read directions better? Why don’t you follow them?" "How much patience do you thing the enchantress has anyway"? "Do you expect her to take you by the hand"? "Go back-Go back"
"Ok, OK," I shouted. " I know" "You obviously know where I should go..so tell me". His loud screeching was getting on my nerves and it was obvious he would not leave me alone until I agreed.

Authoritatively he loudly stated, "You are to wait at the cave for further instructions", and with a haughty flapping of his wings and a deep grumble that sounded like swear words he rose in the sky and headed back towards the silk road. All my shouts of, "where is it, how do I find the cave, which direction do I go", was of no use. He was definitely done with me. Perhaps I can find him a crows gift on this journey to make amends. It is obvious, with my personality, I will need his help.

2 Comments:

At 1:19 AM, Blogger Heather Blakey said...

It is lucky that we have all those ravens circling overhead Jane. What a wonderful ride. Please remember that you do not have to stay strictly to the pathways. We do have our ways of tracking you all in this realm. Special GPS in operation.

 
At 5:04 AM, Blogger jane said...

THANK GOODNESS...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home